Until Then

Until Then

Key Text

"For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory."
2 Corinthians 4:17 (KJV)

Sharon Campbell-Danvers 

There are some hymns we enjoy singing, and then there are those that become companions for life's journey. For me, "Until Then" is one of those hymns.

One of my favourite hymns is "Until Then," written and composed by Stuart Hamblen in 1958. Through the years, this hymn has become much more than a beautiful melody to me. It has been a source of hope, comfort and strength during some of the darkest moments of my life.

As a child growing up, life was difficult and challenging for me. There were seasons when I questioned my purpose and even wondered why I existed. I struggled with disappointments, uncertainty and burdens that seemed far too heavy for someone so young.

As I grew older, I expected life to become easier. Instead, many of my challenges seemed to grow without bounds. New responsibilities, heartbreaks, unanswered prayers and unexpected trials often left me feeling overwhelmed. Yet, in the midst of those difficult seasons, God repeatedly brought this hymn to my heart.

The words of Until Then remind me that this present life is not the end of my story. Every hardship is temporary. Every tear has an end. Every disappointment is only a stepping stone on the journey to something far greater. The hymn gently lifts my eyes from the pain of today to the glorious hope of eternity with Christ.

One line especially speaks to me:

"But until then, my heart will go on singing. Until then, with joy I'll carry on. Until the day my eyes behold that city. Until the day God calls me home."

These words have taught me that hope is not found in having an easy life. Hope is found in knowing that God is walking with me through every trial and that He has already prepared an eternal home for me. Because of that assurance, I can continue singing even when life is hard, continue trusting when I cannot understand and continue serving Him while I wait.

Today, many of us are facing different kinds of battles. Some are grieving the loss of a loved one. Others are struggling with illness, financial hardship, broken relationships, loneliness, anxiety or unanswered prayers. At times, the weight of life's challenges may tempt us to lose heart.

This hymn reminds us that our present circumstances do not define our future. God is still faithful. He is still in control. He has never abandoned His children and He never will. The same God who has carried us this far will continue to sustain us until the day we see Him face to face.

No matter what you may be facing today, do not give up. Keep trusting. Keep praying. Keep serving. Keep singing. Remember that this world is not our final home. There is a glorious day coming when every tear will be wiped away, every burden will be lifted and every sorrow will be replaced with everlasting joy.

Reflection Questions

  1. What present challenge do I need to surrender to God as I wait on His perfect timing?

  2. How can my faith and hope in Christ encourage someone who is struggling today?

Statement

Until then, let us choose faith over fear, hope over despair and praise over discouragement, knowing that God is with us every step of the journey and that our best days are still ahead in His eternal presence.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, thank You for being our refuge and strength through every season of life. Thank You for the hope we have in Jesus Christ and for the promise of an eternal home with You. When our hearts grow weary, help us to keep trusting, keep serving and keep singing. Lift our eyes above our present circumstances and remind us that every trial is preparing us for the glory that awaits us. May our lives encourage others to persevere in faith until the day we see You face to face. In Jesus' name, Amen.

s.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November 26: Waiting Well

March 16 Anxious but Anchored

September 22: Peace Be Still