August 18: Holy Sabbath Day of Rest
Holy Sabbath Day of Rest
Key Text: "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy." Exodus 20:8 (KJV)
![]() |
| Sharon |
There are some truths we learn because someone teaches them to us, and there are others that God seems to place before us again and again until we stop, listen and understand. For me, the Sabbath became one of those truths.
Approximately thirty years ago, while I was still in high school, a friend told me about the Sabbath and invited me to church with her. At the time, I had no real knowledge or understanding of the Sabbath. Saturday was simply another busy day. It was the day we washed, cleaned, went shopping and took care of the many things that needed to be done.
Nevertheless, I accepted my friend's invitation and went to church with her.
I did not realise then that this invitation would become part of a much greater spiritual journey.
Sometime afterwards, I came across an old book in my aunt's bathroom. Once again, the subject of the Sabbath was before me. It seemed unusual that the same message that my friend had introduced to me was appearing again.
Then something happened that I have never forgotten.
I had a dream, and in the sky were the words:
"Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy!"
Those words stayed with me.
What had once been something I knew very little about was becoming deeply personal. I began to understand that the Sabbath was not simply a teaching about a particular day. It was an invitation from God to remember Him as Creator, to rest in His presence and to set aside sacred time to worship and fellowship with Him.
That is why the hymn "Holy Sabbath Day of Rest," written by L. E. C. Joers, has become so meaningful to me.
Each week, the words of this hymn have become more than a tune. They remind me of the journey God took me on as He opened my understanding to the beauty of His Sabbath.
The hymn speaks of the Sabbath as a day that God Himself created, blessed and set apart as holy time.
What a beautiful thought.
The Sabbath is not merely a day when I stop working. It is a weekly reminder that I belong to God.
For six days, life can become crowded with responsibilities. There are bills to pay, meals to prepare, homes to maintain, deadlines to meet, families to care for and problems to solve. Our minds can become so occupied with what needs to be done that we forget how much we need simply to be still in the presence of God.
Then the Sabbath comes.
It is as though God lovingly says, "Put everything down for a while. Come and spend this time with Me."
The Sabbath reminds me that my value is not measured by how much I accomplish. I do not have to work every moment, solve every problem or carry every responsibility without rest. God invites me to stop, breathe, worship and remember that He is my Creator and Sustainer.
The command begins with one important word:
Remember.
God knew how easily we would forget.
We can become so consumed with the cares of life that we forget the One who gave us life. We can become so busy caring for everything around us that we neglect our relationship with God.
Every Sabbath is therefore a sacred reminder.
Remember who created you.
Remember who sustains you.
Remember who provides for you.
Remember that you are more than your work, your responsibilities and your worries.
Remember that God desires time with you.
The Sabbath has also taught me something about trust. Setting aside the seventh day means believing that the world will continue even when I stop working. It means trusting God with what remains unfinished and believing that He can take care of tomorrow.
What I once regarded simply as another Saturday has become something I look forward to each week.
It is holy time.
It is a gift.
It is a weekly appointment with my Creator.
And when I sing "Holy Sabbath Day of Rest," I am reminded of how patiently God led me to understand something that had once been completely unfamiliar to me. He used a high school friend, an unexpected book and even a dream to draw my attention to His Word.
Today, I can look back and see that what seemed like separate experiences were all pointing me in the same direction.
Back to Scripture.
Back to the Creator.
Back to His invitation to remember.
Perhaps we sometimes think of God's commandments only as rules telling us what we must or must not do. But the Sabbath has taught me to see something more. Within the command to remember is an invitation to relationship.
God is saying, "Come away from the noise. Rest with Me. Worship Me. Remember that I am your God."
So when another Sabbath arrives, I do not want merely to observe a day. I want to cherish the gift.
I want to remember the God who patiently revealed His truth to me and who continues to meet me in sacred time week after week.
Reflection Questions
Have the pressures and responsibilities of life caused me to lose sight of the spiritual rest and fellowship God desires to give me?
How can I make the Sabbath more than a routine and intentionally use its sacred hours to deepen my relationship with God?
Statement
The Sabbath is more than a day on the calendar. It is God's weekly invitation to stop, remember, worship and rest in the presence of the One who created me.
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank You for patiently leading me into Your truth and for the beautiful gift of the Sabbath. Thank You for setting aside sacred time when I can turn away from the demands of everyday life and focus more fully on You. Help me never to take this gift for granted. Teach me to remember You as my Creator, to trust You with everything I cannot finish and to find true rest in Your presence. May every Sabbath draw me closer to You and prepare my heart for the eternal rest we will one day enjoy in Your kingdom. In Jesus' name, Amen.
Copyright Notice
Scripture quotations are from the King James Version (KJV), unless otherwise indicated. Brief hymn excerpts are included for devotional reflection. All hymn copyrights remain the property of their respective authors, composers and publishers.

Comments
Post a Comment