August 19: When We All Get to Heaven


When We All Get to Heaven

Key Text: "And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also."John 14:3 (KJV)

Sharon


Another hymn that is very dear to me is "When We All Get to Heaven." The words were written by Eliza E. Hewitt in 1898, with music composed by Emily D. Wilson.

There is something about this hymn that fills my heart with hope. It reminds me that no matter how difficult the journey becomes, this life is not the end of our story. There is something greater awaiting those who love and faithfully follow Jesus.

Life has a way of making us weary.

There are seasons when we pray and wait, yet the answer does not seem to come. There are times when we give our best and still experience disappointment. We may face sickness, grief, rejection, financial difficulties, broken relationships and circumstances we simply do not understand.

Sometimes the journey feels long.

But then I remember that we are going somewhere.

Jesus made His disciples a promise. He told them that He was going to prepare a place for them and that He would come again. That promise was not only for the disciples. It is the blessed hope of every believer who has placed their trust in Christ.

That is why the words of this hymn speak so deeply to me:

"Let us then be true and faithful,
Trusting, serving every day."

These words remind me that while I am waiting for heaven, there is still a life to be lived here.

I must keep trusting.

I must keep serving.

I must keep believing.

I must keep walking with Jesus.

The Christian journey is not simply about waiting to get to heaven. It is about allowing the hope of heaven to change the way we live today.

Because I know where I am going, I can keep moving forward when the road becomes difficult.

Because I know Who is waiting for me, I can remain faithful when I am tempted to give up.

Because I know that this world is temporary, I do not have to allow today's troubles to steal tomorrow's hope.

And what a day that will be!

The greatest joy of heaven will not simply be the absence of pain. It will not merely be the end of sickness, disappointment, grief or death. As wonderful as those things will be, there is something even greater.

We will see Jesus.

The One we have prayed to but have never seen.

The One who carried us through nights when no one knew we were crying.

The One who answered prayers we thought had been forgotten.

The One who forgave us when we failed.

The One who strengthened us when we thought we could not continue.

The One who loved us enough to give His life for us.

One day, we will see Him face to face.

Perhaps that is why the chorus is filled with such anticipation. It invites us to imagine the joy of finally reaching the destination towards which our faith has been pointing all along.

But there is something else in the title that touches me deeply.

It does not say, "When I get to heaven."

It says, "When we all get to heaven."

There is something beautiful about that word "we."

Our Christian journey was never intended to be lived entirely by ourselves. As we travel towards the kingdom, we should be encouraging others to continue as well. When someone becomes weary, we can remind them of the promise. When someone begins to lose hope, we can help them look towards Jesus again. When someone falls, we can help them rise.

We should want our families there.

We should want our friends there.

We should want our neighbours there.

We should want the people we worship with there.

We should even want those who have hurt us there.

The hope of heaven should not only make us excited about where we are going. It should give us a desire to help someone else get there too.

So until that glorious day, let us be true and faithful.

Let us trust when we cannot see.

Let us serve even when no one applauds.

Let us love even when loving is difficult.

Let us forgive.

Let us encourage one another.

Let us tell someone about Jesus.

And when the road becomes difficult, let us remember that the journey has a destination.

One day, the struggles will be over.

One day, faith will become sight.

One day, we will look upon the face of the Saviour who carried us through it all.

And what a day of rejoicing that will be.

Reflection Questions

  1. Am I living each day in a way that shows I truly believe Jesus is coming again?

  2. Who can I encourage, pray for or share Jesus with so that they too can experience the hope of eternal life?

Statement

Heaven is not simply my destination. It is my hope along the journey. Until Jesus comes, I will keep trusting, keep serving and keep encouraging others, because one day faith will become sight and we will see our Saviour face to face.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, thank You for the promise that this world is not our final home. Thank You that Jesus is preparing a place for us and that He will come again. When life's journey becomes difficult, help us to keep our eyes fixed on You. Give us strength to remain true and faithful, trusting and serving every day. Help us not to travel this journey alone, but to encourage others and share the hope we have found in Jesus. Keep our hearts longing for the glorious day when faith will become sight and we will see our Saviour face to face. Until then, keep us faithful. In Jesus' name, Amen.

Copyright Notice

Scripture quotations are from the King James Version (KJV), unless otherwise indicated. Brief hymn excerpts are included for devotional reflection. All hymn copyrights remain the property of their respective authors, composers and publishers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November 26: Waiting Well

September 22: Peace Be Still

March 16 Anxious but Anchored