August 6: A Child of the King
![]() |
| Sharon Campbell-Danvers |
A Child of the King
Key Text
"The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ."
Romans 8:16–17 (KJV)
There are some hymns that remind us not only of God's promises but also of who we are in Him. One of my favourite hymns is "A Child of the King," written by Harriet E. Buell in 1877, with music by John B. Sumner.
Being told that I am a child of the King has such powerful meaning for me.
When I was growing up, I never knew my father during my early years. I never knew what it felt like to have someone call me "daughter." There were times when I lacked proper housing. I worried about tomorrow and often wondered what my future would hold. In those moments, I cried out to God and asked Him to help me so that life for my generation would be much better.
Then I came to know my Heavenly Father.
When I accepted Jesus Christ, everything changed. I discovered that I was no longer defined by what I lacked or by the circumstances into which I was born. I had been adopted into God's family. I belonged to the King of kings.
The words of this hymn became deeply personal to me:
I'm a child of the King,
A child of the King;
With Jesus my Saviour,
I'm a child of the King.
What a remarkable truth. I may not possess the riches of this world, but I belong to the One who owns "the wealth of the world." My identity is no longer rooted in my past, my pain or my poverty. It is rooted in Christ.
Because I am a child of the King, I know who I am and to whom I belong. My worth is not determined by what others think of me, what I own or where I came from. My worth is found in the One who adopted me into His family through His amazing grace.
Perhaps you have felt forgotten, rejected or unworthy. Perhaps you have questioned your value because of your upbringing, your circumstances or the words others have spoken over your life. If so, remember this. When you belong to Christ, your identity changes forever. You are no longer an outcast. You are a son or daughter of the Most High God, an heir to His eternal kingdom and the recipient of His unfailing love.
Walk with confidence today, not because of who you are in yourself, but because of whose you are.
Reflection Questions
Is my identity shaped more by my past experiences or by God's promises?
How can I live each day as a child of the King and reflect His character to others?
Statement
My past may explain where I have been, but it does not determine who I am. In Christ, I am a child of the King, and that changes everything.
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank You for adopting me into Your family and calling me Your child. Thank You that my identity is not found in my past, my failures or my circumstances, but in Your unfailing love. Help me to live each day with the confidence and assurance that I belong to You. May my life reflect the hope, joy and dignity of being Your child, and may others come to know the love of their Heavenly Father through me. In Jesus' name, Amen.
Copyright Notice
Scripture quotations are from the King James Version (KJV), unless otherwise indicated. Brief hymn excerpts are included for devotional reflection. All hymn copyrights remain the property of their respective authors, composers and publishers.

Comments
Post a Comment