August 1: Farther Along
"Farther Along"
Key Text
"For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known."
1 Corinthians 13:12 (KJV)
![]() |
| Sharon Campbell-Danvers |
There are some hymns that become associated with particular occasions. For many of us in the Caribbean, "Farther Along" is one of those hymns. Growing up, I usually heard it being sung only at funerals. Its familiar words often echoed through church buildings as families gathered to say farewell to loved ones.
As I sat through one such service, I found myself reflecting on the words of the hymn. As I listened carefully, I came to the conclusion that this hymn deserves to be sung not only at funerals, but throughout our Christian journey. Its message is not just for those who are grieving. It is for every believer who has ever wrestled with life's unanswered questions.
The hymn, widely attributed to Rev. W. B. Stevens, expresses what many of us have felt at one time or another.
"Tempted and tried we're oft made to wonder, why it should be thus all the day long..."
How often have we asked, "Why, Lord?" Why does suffering come to those who seek to live faithfully? Why do prayers sometimes seem unanswered? Why do good people experience pain while evil appears to prosper?
These are not new questions. They are questions that faithful men and women throughout Scripture also asked. Yet this hymn gently reminds us that our understanding is limited. We do not see the whole picture, but God does.
The chorus has comforted countless believers over the years:
"Farther along we'll know all about it. Farther along we'll understand why. Cheer up, my brother, live in the sunshine. We'll understand it all by and by."
Those words do not promise that every question will be answered in this life. Instead, they point us to a greater hope. One day, when we stand in the presence of Christ, what seems confusing today will finally make sense. Until then, we are called to trust the One who sees the end from the beginning.
Perhaps you are carrying questions that no one can answer. Perhaps you are living through disappointment, loss, illness or uncertainty. This hymn reminds us that faith does not require us to understand everything. Faith calls us to trust the God who understands everything.
One day, every tear will be wiped away. Every burden will be lifted. Every question will find its answer in the presence of our loving Saviour.
Reflection Questions
What unanswered question do I need to place into God's hands today?
How can I choose trust instead of fear while I wait for God's perfect understanding?
Statement
When we cannot trace God's hand, we can always trust His heart. Farther along, we shall understand why.
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank You for being faithful even when we cannot understand Your ways. Help us to trust You when life is confusing and our questions seem to have no answers. Strengthen our faith to walk with You day by day, knowing that You are working all things together for our good and for Your glory. Keep our eyes fixed on Christ and the hope of eternity, where every mystery will be made clear. In Jesus' name, Amen.
Copyright Notice
Scripture quotations are from the King James Version (KJV). Brief hymn excerpts are included for devotional reflection. All hymn copyrights remain with their respective authors and publishers.

Comments
Post a Comment