October 25: Ask
ASK
![]() |
| Sharon Campbell-Danvers Kings Seventh-day Adventist Church |
Key Text: Matthew 7:7 (KJV)
“Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.”
It is often said that we have not because we ask not. Yet, if I am being truthful, there are moments when I hesitate to ask Jesus for certain things. Sometimes, even if only briefly, I wonder whether I am bothering Him or whether what I need is simply too much to ask.
But then I remind myself: How can I possibly ask too much of the One who has already given everything for me?
Jesus did not say, “Ask only when your problem is serious enough.” He simply said, “Ask.”
What a powerful invitation!
Yet many of us spend more time worrying about our problems than praying about them. We rehearse our difficulties, imagine the worst outcomes, and exhaust ourselves searching for solutions, while neglecting the One who invites us to come boldly before His throne.
You cannot expect answers to requests you never make or doors to open when you refuse to knock.
James 4:2 reminds us, “Ye have not, because ye ask not.”
Think about it. What have you been carrying silently? Is it a financial burden, a troubled relationship, an important decision, a struggling child, or a private battle nobody knows about?
Have you actually asked God, or have you only worried, complained, and talked about it?
Asking is not weakness. It is an acknowledgment that we need God's wisdom, strength, and intervention.
But prayer is not about persuading God to approve everything we desire. Sometimes His answer is yes, sometimes no, and sometimes wait. Trusting Him means believing His wisdom is greater than our understanding.
And remember, asking does not eliminate responsibility. If you pray for employment, pursue opportunities. If you pray for reconciliation, be willing to apologize. If you pray for wisdom, seek godly counsel. If you pray for change, be prepared to change.
Faith does not merely ask; faith responds with obedience.
Today, refuse to let fear, disappointment, pride, or past unanswered prayers silence you.
Bring that concern before Jesus. Be specific. Be honest. Be persistent. Then trust Him enough to follow His direction.
The problem is not that your request is too big for God. The danger is allowing your doubts to keep you from asking.
Prayer
Heavenly Father, forgive me for the times I have worried instead of prayed, complained instead of asked, and depended on my own strength instead of trusting You. Remove every fear that makes me hesitate to approach You. Teach me to bring even my deepest concerns before Your throne with confidence and humility. Give me the wisdom to recognize Your answers, the patience to wait for Your timing, and the courage to obey Your instructions. Above all, help me to trust Your heart even when I do not understand Your ways. In Jesus' mighty name, Amen.
Reflection
What have you been afraid or hesitant to ask God for because you think it is too much, too small, or too late?
Today, stop carrying that concern silently. Bring it before God in specific prayer, and identify one practical step of obedience you can take while trusting Him with the outcome.
© 2026. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice
Scripture quotations are from the King James Version (KJV), unless otherwise indicated. Brief hymn excerpts, where included, are used for devotional reflection. All hymn copyrights remain the property of their respective authors, composers and publishers.

Comments
Post a Comment