October 4
Yes. That section strengthens the devotional and fits naturally just before the final application. Here is the updated version with it included.
Heading in the Wrong Direction
Key Text
“Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.”
Proverbs 3:5–6 (KJV)
Recently, I was heading to a particular place when a telephone call with my husband revealed that the traffic was terrible. We agreed that instead of continuing with the journey, I would go home and do the errand another day.
Initially, we had planned to meet at Foster's Supermarket so that I could collect the item I was supposed to take to that particular place. Since the plans had changed, there was no longer any reason for me to go to Foster's. I was supposed to be heading home.
So, I headed home.
Or at least, I thought I did.
Some time later, I found myself at Foster's Supermarket. Then it dawned on me. I had made the wrong turn.
Although I knew that my destination had changed, I had automatically followed the familiar route of my original plan. I was moving, but I was heading in the wrong direction.
How many times does this happen to us in our spiritual walk?
We know where God wants us to go, yet somehow we find ourselves travelling in another direction. Sometimes we are distracted. Sometimes an old habit or familiar path takes over. Sometimes we become so accustomed to doing things a certain way that we do not immediately realise we are drifting away from God.
The experience reminded me that there is a difference between moving and moving in the right direction.
We can be busy, active and accomplishing things, yet still need to ask ourselves, “Am I going where God wants me to go?”
The good news is that a wrong turn does not have to become our final destination.
When I realised that I was going in the wrong direction, I did not keep driving simply because I had already travelled that far. I changed direction.
The same is true spiritually. When God shows us that we have wandered, we can stop, acknowledge it and turn around. That is part of repentance. God lovingly redirects us and invites us to walk with Him again.
Sometimes we need to ask God for directions again.
Lord, am I where You want me to be?
Am I going where You want me to go?
Is there anything in my life that needs to change direction?
There is no shame in recognising that we have made a wrong turn. The danger is recognising it and refusing to turn around.
Perhaps today is a good time to check our direction. Are our choices taking us closer to God? Are our habits strengthening our relationship with Him? Are we following His direction, or have we simply become comfortable travelling a familiar road?
If we discover that we have made a wrong turn, we do not have to keep going.
We can turn around and allow God to direct our path.
Reflection Questions
Is there an area of my life where I may be heading in the wrong direction?
What do I need to change today so that I can follow God's direction more closely?
Statement
A wrong turn does not have to become my final destination. I can stop, turn around and allow God to direct my path.
Prayer
Heavenly Father, show me when I am heading in the wrong direction. Give me the courage to turn around and the wisdom to follow Your leading. Direct my path and keep me close to You. In Jesus' name, Amen.
Copyright Notice
Scripture quotations are from the King James Version (KJV), unless otherwise indicated. Brief hymn excerpts, where included, are used for devotional reflection. All hymn copyrights remain the property of their respective authors, composers and publishers.
Comments
Post a Comment