October 5
Who Am I Pleasing?
Key Text
“For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.”
Galatians 1:10 (KJV)
As a scholar, I am diligent in completing my assignments. I take my studies seriously and desire to achieve good grades. Naturally, I appreciate positive feedback from my professors. There is satisfaction in knowing that the effort I have invested has been recognised.
The same is true in the workplace. Many of us want the approval of our managers and colleagues. We want our work to be recognised and appreciated. Sometimes, however, the desire for recognition can go too far. People may even undermine others so that they can shine, receive the praise and appear to be the better worker.
But when I really think about it, I am reminded that we must be careful not to miss the mark.
There is nothing wrong with striving for excellence. We should study diligently, work faithfully and give our best. The question is: Who am I ultimately trying to please?
People may applaud us.
Professors may praise our work.
Managers may commend our performance.
Others may describe us as committed, dependable, hardworking or a strong leader.
But human applause is temporary.
The question that matters most is, What will Jesus say?
Colossians 3:23 reminds us:
“And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men.”
What a difference it makes when we approach our responsibilities this way. I can still pursue excellence, but my motivation changes. I am no longer working merely to impress someone. I am doing my best because my work is an offering to God.
This also means that I do not have to diminish someone else in order to shine. I do not need to compete for attention, become jealous when someone else is recognised or compromise my character to gain approval.
There is room for all of us to serve faithfully.
One day, the titles, grades, awards, promotions and applause will no longer matter. What will matter is whether we were faithful to what God entrusted to us.
So perhaps, before asking, “Will they be pleased with me?” we should first ask:
“Lord, are You pleased with me?”
May our greatest desire be to hear Jesus say:
“Well done, thou good and faithful servant.”
Matthew 25:21
Reflection Questions
Am I pursuing excellence to honour God, or am I becoming too dependent on the praise and approval of others?
Would I make the same choices if Jesus were the only One who would ever recognise what I had done?
Statement
Human applause may feel good for a moment, but God's approval has eternal value. May I strive for excellence, not simply to be seen by others, but to honour the One for whom I ultimately live and serve.
Prayer
Heavenly Father, help me to give my best in everything I do, but keep my heart focused on pleasing You. Protect me from pride, comparison and the need for human approval. May my work, character and service bring honour to You. In Jesus' name, Amen.
Copyright Notice
Scripture quotations are from the King James Version (KJV), unless otherwise indicated. Brief hymn excerpts, where included, are used for devotional reflection. All hymn copyrights remain the property of their respective authors, composers and publishers.
Comments
Post a Comment